The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston has formally agreed to lease the building of the former Bay Area Regional Medical Center in Webster. UTMB signed the lease and took possession of the facility in October 2018.
“This is a tremendous opportunity for us to advance UTMB’s education, research and patient care mission in a dynamic area,” said Dr. David L. Callender. “We will be able to expand our ability to provide health care services for an area that is one of the fastest-growing regions in Texas.”
UTMB is working with area physicians, determining staffing requirements, and evaluating and calibrating existing equipment, and is in the process of deciding what services will be provided at the facility. No specific opening date is scheduled but UTMB has set a preliminary goal of opening in spring 2019. The facility has been renamed the UTMB Health Clear Lake Campus.
Meanwhile, UTMB is continuing with plans to add 60 beds to its existing 37-bed League City Hospital, which includes an emergency room and medical/surgical services for adults. Numerous UTMB specialty services also are available on the university’s League City Campus and nearby facilities.
In 2016, UTMB dedicated the 250-bed Jennie Sealy Hospital in Galveston, and work to modernize the nearby John Sealy Hospital is ongoing. Both hospitals are connected to UTMB’s Level 1 Trauma Center. In addition, UTMB operates a hospital at its Angleton Danbury Campus in Brazoria County, as well as numerous clinics throughout the Greater Houston/Galveston area. The clinical facilities support the university’s education and research activities.
- 191 private patient rooms
- An entire floor dedicated to women's services (including labor/delivery/postpartum recovery and a neonatal ICU)
- 22 intensive care unit rooms and 27 ICU beds
- 24 Pre/Post anesthesia care unit beds
- Full service emergency department (w/ 23 beds, including three for trauma)
- Five operating suites and eight operating rooms
- Three cardiac catherization suites
- Two interventional radiology suites
- One hybrid operating room that functions as a cardiac cath suite and an operating suite