Newly Renovated Labor & Delivery Suites
UTMB Health Galveston's newly renovated Labor & Delivery unit includes spacious birthing suites and mother/baby rooms that offer a “family-centered” birth experience.
Here, families stay in the same room throughout labor, delivery and immediate recovery, they are then moved to a mother/baby room until discharged. These rooms can comfortably accommodate family members and caregivers including physicians, midwives, nurses, and the pediatric team.
Couplet Care provides a nurse who cares for both the mother and her baby during their stay. This nurse is specialized in caring for the family as a unit and providing breastfeeding support during these important first days.
Because safety for mother and baby is always the first consideration, all birthing suites are equipped with everything needed for a safe and healthy delivery. Plus, we've added a few extras to make the event one that is comfortable and easy to share with the chosen loved ones, including convertible sleep chairs, refrigerator, flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom with walk-in shower.
Birthing Suites and Additional Amenities
- A unit specializing in the care of pregnant women during the antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum stages of their pregnancy. We deliver approximately 5,500 babies per year.
- 20 birthing suites for labor, delivery, and recovery
- 2 ICU beds for critically ill OB mothers
- 4 bed PACU
- 5 triage rooms
- 4 dedicated OR suites
- High-risk obstetrical care
- Critical Care Obstetrics
- 24 – hour anesthesia support
- 24 – hour language assistance
- Perinatal Residence
- Infant secured unit