Patients who receive breast care and breast imaging services at UTMB Health can be confident they are receiving the highest level of care using the latest technology and treatments available. UTMB has once again been re-accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) and its breast imaging program has been designated a "Center of Excellence" by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
To become a NAPBC accredited breast center, UTMB Health met quality standards in 27 categories such as clinical management, research, and quality management. As an ACR Center of Excellence, UTMB's breast imaging program has been determined to provide the highest level of image quality and safety.
Choosing UTMB Health for breast care ensures that you have access to:
- Comprehensive care, including a full range of state-of-the-art technology and treatments
- A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Information for ongoing clinical trails and new treatment options
Why your breast health is important?
Did you know that as many as 60-70% of women diagnosed with breast cancer do not have any known risk factors? This is why routine care of your breasts, regardless of your age and family history, is important for both the prevention and early detection of breast cancer. Contrary to popular belief, the risk for breast cancer begins to increase at a woman's first conception, which is why women should use the following tools for the detection of breast cancer:
- Regular breast self-exams
- Doctor's exam which should be done during your annual well-woman visit
- Mammogram each year beginning at age 40